These instructions apply to community college students only: UCSB undergraduates, please contact the program director (email@example.com).
Part I - Application Process & Transcript Upload
- A completed online application form which includes your statement of interest. See the statement of interest prompts below.
- Unofficial college transcripts (in pdf format, less than 3MB)
If you have transcripts from more than one institution, you can upload each file separately. Each file must be a PDF less than 3MB.
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty advisor, course instructor, TA or employer (one who is familiar with your scientific skills). You may submit two letters for consideration. All letters must be submitted online by the letter writer and are due by the application deadline.
Statement of Interest Prompt
Your statement of interest should be no more than 5,000 characters and include all of the following information:
- Discuss why you are interested in pursuing a bachelor's degree in your chosen major
- Describe your educational background and achievements
- If applicable, provide information on barriers (educational, social, and/or cultural) you may have personally faced and discuss how you overcame them. If appropriate, include a discussion of your family's educational background, indicating whether your family members experienced barriers in higher education, whether you are the first person in your family to go to college, and whether you have experienced a lack of role models or informational resources about higher education and careers.
- Be sure to include a mention of participation in undergraduate achievement programs (ex. CAMP, MESA, SACNAS) or student organizations
- Please expand upon these components and share any additional information, which you feel is relevant to your unique personal or educational history
TIP: Prepare your statement of interest ahead of time and make sure it is well written, less than 5,000 characters, and contains all the requested information. You may want to prepare it as a Word document and then cut and paste into the textbox.
Follow the link below to begin your online application. Once you have submitted your form you will be directed to a new page to upload your transcripts. Have your transcripts ready prior to beginning the application form.
Part II - Letter of Recommendation
One letter of recommendation is required, but up to two may be submitted. The letter should be written by someone who is familiar with your scientific skills (e.g., faculty advisor, course instructor, or employer). All letters must be submitted online by the letter writer and are due by the application deadline. You will be asked to provide the email address of your recommender(s) during your application: we will then send them a link to the appropriate site. If you wish to expedite the process, you can send them this link to the recommendation site (but you will still have to enter their emails during your application).
Note: ALL correspondence with applicants will be via email, including award decisions. Please check your email frequently and add the PIPELINES email (firstname.lastname@example.org).